The Churchill Centre has partnered with Pentland Group PLC and ARTS THREAD for the second annual Winston Churchill Design Competition. The competition seeks to discover upcoming talent and engage new audiences with Churchill’s story. The top three winning entries will receive:
- First prize of £1000, second prize of £750 and third prize £500
- Consideration for work experience at Pentland headquarters in London
- Invitation to the annual Sir Winston Churchill Dinner in London, Autumn 2014
The brief for the competition is to “capture the essence of Churchill’s unique style and personality, and present it for a modern audience”. Entrants can create work in any media that can be viewed on a website. The panel, made up of external patrons and members of the Churchill Centre, will review entries against five criteria:
- Design craft. Does the design demonstrate a high degree of sensitivity to materials and techniques? Is the composition exciting and dynamic?
- Insight. Does the design present fresh and insightful perspectives into the different aspects of Churchill as a journalist, historian, great orator, politician, soldier, bricklayer, artist and more? Is the design exciting and compelling?
- Communication. Is the design easy to understand? Is it able to communicate its message directly and with force?
- Contemporary relevance. Does the piece of work show thought about the enduring appeal of Churchill’s personality and style?
- Inspiration. Does the work have the potential to inspire great things?
The competition closes at midnight, August 31st, 2014 and is open to international BA/MA students or recent graduates.